Sunday, August 21, 2011

Isaac Wardle's History in His Words

Isaac wrote a short description of his life. 

Copied as written by Isaac J. Wardle
Born June 14, 1835 in the Theune of Raven Stone, Lester Shire, England.  Son of John and Mary Wardle.  I had four brothers and one sister.  I did not have the privilege to go to school much as I was put to work at the age of 7 years old.  At 9 years old I was to work in the lead mines.  I was after put to work to learn the rope making business.  I only stayed at that work a short time as the family moved to the town of Loalcvill [Coalville.]  I was put to work in coal mine again.  I continued to work at the same place till I was 18 years old.  In September 23, 1853 I was Baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, by Elder Fredrick Smith.  I was confirmed next day by Elder Smith.  In a short time I moved to the town of Worcel, Staford Shire.  I stay-ed there till I had saved money enough to emigrate to America.  Then I went to father and mother, brothers and sister again till the spring of 1856.  On the 19th day of May I bid them all goodby and sailed for Liverpool.  Saturday, May 26, 1853 went on board the ship Orizen [Horizon] with 840 passengers on board.  John Read was Captain.  Edward Martin, President of the company, Josef Haven, councilor.  We was on the sea 5 weeks.  Arrived in Boston Saturday 10 a.m. , stayed there two days, then took train for Iowa City, state of Iowa.  We stayed there a short time and then started for Council Bluffs with Hand Carts.  Distance was 300 miles.  We did not have difficulty on the road.  WE crossed the Missouri River at Florence.  Stayed there a short time to fill out for the plains.  Edward Martin continued to be our President and Captain.  When we left Florence there was some where about 740 soles in the company.  Some had stayed at different towns along the road.  When we left Florence I had on my handcart a young man 18 years old by the name of Langley Baley, (now living in Nephi City, Utah.) and 100 lbs flour and tent and camp equipment for 7 persons, with John Baley to help me pull it.  (Now living in Monrchie, [Moroni] Sanpete County, Utah).  Every thing went along fairly well with us for about 630 miles, except the Indians came to see us once in a while till we got to Platt bridge, there we encountered a severe snow storm.  This was in the early part of October.  Then our old men and women commenced to give way with some young people too.  We kept moving on a little every day.  By this time some of our brethren and sisters and children commenced to die and give out by the wayside.  I myself fell to the ground and lay for some time.  About this time Joseph A. Young and Ephram Hanks came to our camp at noon one day and told us that horse teams was coming to meet us from Salt Lake City, with provisions.  In 2 days we met 10 teams.  More team continued to meet every day on, so we left our hand carts at Picfick Springs.  By this time quite a number had died, which I helped to burry.  It continued to be very cold and stormy and some of them dying most every day.  We got to Salt Lake City, Utah about 11: O’Clock A.M. Sunday Morning 30th day of November 1856.  President Brigham Young with many other brethren and sister bid us welcome and took us to their homes.  By night we all had places to lay our heads down, rest in comfort, to rest our weary body.

I like the way he ends this, "to rest our weary body."  After a trip of thousands of miles, and a trek of 1300 miles, I am sure Isaac's body was very weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment