Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Isaac Wardle's Mission to England 1879

“I assure you I thought that God had chosen the weakest of all man to lead the people.”

I go devoted to His cause,
And to His will resigned;
His presence will supply the loss
Of all I leave behind.

I go because the Master calls;
He’s made my duty plain—
No danger can the heart appall
When Jesus stoops to reign.
Wiliam W. Phelps

Isaac was ordained a Seventy in the Church 28 December 1878.  As such he would have been a “home missionary.”  Shortly after, the next year, he was called to a mission to England.  At the time Isaac was called, John Taylor was directing the affairs of the Church as President of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles.  Brigham Young passed away in 1877, and the First Presidency was not reorganized until 1880.  It was not uncommon to be called from the pulpit at a general conference session.  Several other brethren from the South Valley area were called to serve missions at this time. 
    During the time of John Taylor, calls started to arrive by letter, from Box B in Salt Lake City.  Box B was used as early as August 1979; and perhaps earlier.  (See Packer, Boyd K.)  This response written in 1879 was likely typical of the time:

President John Taylor
Dear Brother,
Yours of the 27 instance notifying myself to make my arrangements to go on a mission to the United States is to hand.  You ask an answer of me.  My answer is, I am glad that I am counted worth by my brethren to go on a mission or fill any place of trust and I hope that I shall never do anything to forfeit the confidence reposed.
I know of nothing now to prevent my going as desired although plenty to do at home.  (ibid)

This letter likely reflected Isaac’s thoughts.  Being called as a missionary was a vote of confidence from Church leaders.  However it was also a hardship:

Another stressful experience in many Mormon families was the absence of the father on missions.  Around the turn of the century the missionary program was reorganized so that the bulk of the responsibility was carried by young, single men, but for the first fifty years or more of the church’s existence is was not uncommon to call husbands and fathers to spend two, three, or as many as six years preaching the gospel outside of Utah.  No more than a few hundred families experienced such paternal absences to any significant degree, but for those who did it must have seriously affected the family.  (Arrington and Bitton p 194) 

Isaac John Jr. would manage the farming operation while Isaac was away.  He was 17 when Isaac let on his mission.  There were other sons who could help.  William was nine, Charles eight, Joseph eight, Silas, two.  Isaac’s daughters were Crillla thirteen, Araminta ten and Hannah five.  (See Family Search)  Isaac’s leaving at this time would have been harder as his first wife, Martha was pregnant.

Back to England

Isaac left for his mission January 22, 1879.  Isaac, in traveling across the United States made much better time going East than when he was with the hand cart company going west:

Dear wives and children, I am well this morning.  I hope that you’re fine.  We are gaining 25 miles for hour.  The snow is not so deep as it is at home.  We are in the finest car that I ever see.  It is warm and comfortable.  We shall be in New York Sunday at meetings which as [they have] been appointed to hear us.  (Wardle, Isaac, note, Jane 22, 1879)

This was quite a difference, where 25 miles a day was an excellent day in 1856, now they were doing 25 miles an hour.  The snow got worse before they reached New York where they were to take a steam ship to England.  “I have been on board 24 hours only.  [We] traveled 10 miles in a white out.  [It has] been deep enough to go to see but expect to start in 3 hours.  The site I now behold is something that would make you gaze with Wonder.  (Wardle, Isaac, undated letter)
Even with the snow, they made good time.  They left home on Wednesday, and were in New York for Sunday meetings.  “We got to New York in 5 days.  [We] attended meeting which had been appointed.  I spoke to the people.  [We] done our business on the Monday.  We went on board Tuesday.  [We] started Wednesday at 11 Clock.  The Captain and officers was glad to see us and said that now we shall go through all right for not one vessel ever went down when one of your Elders was on Board.  I was surprised at this.  [I] told the [man] not to give us praise; but God was our protection and we should go through all Right.”  (Wardle, Isaac Feb. 13, 1879)  The Captain of the ship was glad to have the Elders because ships traveled safely when Elders were on board.  “The sea-men say that when there is any of the Elder on board that they have no fears but all will be Right.  They say that not one ever was lost when our people was with them.”  (Wardle, Isaac, undated letter) 
Isaac and his traveling companions set sail for England Tuesday January 28.  They journeyed by faster boat than when Isaac came with the Horizon.  Even so, Isaac took ill.  Isaac saw God’s intervention in calming the sea for his stomach.  “I want you to try to Be of good cheer about me.  The Lord has been with me by and land and sea; although I was very sick on sea.  His spirit [was] with me when I asked Bro John South to administer to me.  The Waves and sea became calm as I told him it would.”  (Wardle, Isaac, Feb. 13, 1879)
The Elders were invited to speak to the passengers on the ship.  There was one naysayer:

The forenight we was counted on to speak to the people which give good attention all but one.  I told him that we take the Bible for our guide and if he could confound us we would go home.  But this he did not do.  The people laughed him to scorn and said that he better go to school and learn better than to try to put down the Mormon Elders.  This was new to me but God’s Spirit was with us and we had the respect of [all] on board; the vessel wide.  All men would shun him as an imposter.  So you see that God does strengthen his servants when they trust in him.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb. 13, 1979)

Isaac and his companions were on the sea less than two weeks, being in Liverpool in time for Sunday meetings February 9.  Isaac was also invited to speak after arriving in Liverpool:

“Went to meeting on Sunday.  Three Meetings was held; we being called on to speak to the people. We was glad of having the opportunity of raising our voices in the belief of God’s work in out native land.  To see the saints gathered around us and make us welcome.  My heart did most accordingly rejoice.  The spirit of God was with us and at evening meeting.  The Word had spread through some parties of town that two Elders from Salt Lake had come to preach.  I felt very weak to fill the position.  I appreciated I was the first of the two, but to my satisfaction the Lord was with us.  They was glad that they come to hear for themselves.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb 13, 1879)

Amongst Family and Friends

Isaac arrived in England February 6.  After arriving in England, Isaac visited the community of his birth and youth:

Arrivals – on Saturday, February 6, 1879, Elders John South and Isaac J. Wardle arrived at this port per S. S. Montana.  They have been called on missions to this country and are now visiting their friends prior to being assigned to their fields of labor. – European Mission – Great Britain.  (MS xli 1879 p 106)

  He was given two weeks to visit before receiving his assignment. (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb. 13, 1879)  He took a few days to travel, visiting friends and relatives.  He also attended church in Whitwick:

  I am now it the house of my aunt Fran Smith, my father’s sister.  She and her husband James Smith is well and was glad to see me and made me welcome to anything that they had.  This was a blessing to me for I was weary by traveling so many thousand miles and glad to be one home where I [am] allowed [to] lay down and rest my weary body. … I have had the privilege to walk around to see Coleville and see some few old friends.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb. 13, 1879)

I visited all around the town and found some old acquaintances glad to hear of my father and his family and of Salt Lake City and that I had traveled so many miles.  They think I have more experience in traveling than all the people in the town. 
   I start in the morning to the big town of Leister to my uncle Isaac Wardle then to my field of labor. 
   I was glad to be in the old meeting house and to see the Brethren and Sisters once more; but not so glad to see them in the distressed circumstances so many of them having.  No more than $9.50 cts per week to live and if this is the condition of all the folks in England I know not what they will do.  My heart brakes for them. (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb 17. 1879)

Isaac also visited the mine where he had worked.  “I came to Coleville on Monday Night.  I stayed at a hotel.  Next Morning visited the coal mine where I worked when I left.  Here I found things changed very much.”  (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb. 14, 1879) 

On the Home Front

Isaac’s letters reveal a deep affection for his wives and children.  One letter he addresses to them all.  “Dearest Martha and Sophia, John, Ivitez, Araminty, William, Joseph, Charles, Hannah and my Dear little Sillas Wardle; good morning to you all.  I hope you are all well as it leaves me, thank God.” (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb. 14 1879)  In another letter, Isaac asks that a likeness be taken of the children with their mothers so he could have this with him.  (______)  In a letter he concludes with this line, “give my love to all.  Kiss the children for me.”  (Wardle, Isaac, undated letter)
Before he left Utah, Isaac had made arrangements for the continuation of his farming duties in his absence.  Isaac left his oldest son in charge of his operations while he was gone.  Isaac John Jr. was seventeen when Isaac left on his mission:

I hope that Johnny, my dear boy will be a good and affectionate son to you and as a father to my children.  My prayers is morning moon and might that God may bless him with health that he may perform every duty required at his hands and to have a watch care over what I left for him to see to.  Tell D German to do the very best he can with the sheep.  I have full Confidence that he [is] up to his duty and that he will be on the watch.  (Isaac, Wardle, letter Feb. 17, 1879)

In a letter he was surprised he hadn’t been worried about temporal things, but then asks, “I would like to have my son John send me word how the sheep is getting along-and the horses of Panados on the Winmucks and how the boys are doing with the sheep and how he is getting on in every respect with the family’s welfare hoping that all is right.”  (Wardle, Isaac letter, March 11, 1879)
Bishop Bills either ran sheep with Isaac, and his son Isaac John Jr. while he was away, or took an interest in the farm operation.  “Johnny and I are going the last of next week to over hall the shearing and prepare for shearing.  Wool at present is low, say thirteen to fourteen cents but we expect a little more.”  (Bills, letter to Isaac)  Henry Beckstead also commented on how Johnny was fairing.  “Johnny is doing well and I think better than could be expected with his experience in life.  (Beckstead, Henry)
A letter from home indicates all went well until the shearing, but then a disease got into the sheep and some died.  “I got along first rate with the sheep till after shearing and then I had a great loss.  It snowed down in the basin and storm and catered the sheep.  (Author unclear, letter to Isaac)  This same letter comments on the dry conditions later in the year.  “Seriously the water in Jordan river has been so low that anyone could walk across with their boots on.  (ibid)
There was an interesting experience with his family while Isaac was on his mission.  From a letter written by Henry Beckstead in April 1879, we learn that the health of Isaac’s family had been poor for a time:

After you left home your family was next to Brother Goff’s among all that I have seen.  Some of the folks wanted to send for a doctor but I did not think and I was satisfied in my own mind that no Doctor had the power to heal your family without the assistance of God.  I told your family that they should have anything that they thought would help them in every respect but they would not consent to those that wished to send for a doctor.  I then began to try to put down the spirit of doctor by calling the house to order for prayer after prayer.  I then asked Sophia if she had any choice.  She said yes I have.  I felt as thou there was a devil spirit in the house at that moment.  There were several of the elders there.  There was plenty of help.  We the servants of the Most High God with the Spirit of our calling promised the family in the name of our Lord and Savior that they should be made whole and sound which God granted According to our wants and our faith. … The children all look well and healthy.  Martha and Sophi health is not as good as times past but there is no danger I don’t think.  They was worn out with sickness.  I think that warm weather set them all right again.  Don’t fret about your family for while I have they will have.  (Beckstead, Henry)

This last sentiment by Brother Beckstead points to the way families looked out for each other, especially when the head of the family was gone on a Church mission.
Isaac was obviously worried about his wife Martha, and her pregnancy.  He must have felt relieved when he received this letter. “Martha gave birth to a beautiful Boy on the 9 of June weighing 6 pounds.  She got along well for the Lord was with her and strengthened her for her task.  She is as Well as can be expected.”  (Wardle, Sohpia, ______)

Missionary Work; Wigan Branch and Traveling Elder

Isaac realized early in his mission, as most missionaries do, that he was dependent on the prayers of others.  “I hope that I have got your prayers and that the Bishop and Council and the teachers will pray for me in their priesthood meetings.  I know that I need them very much.”  (Wardle, Isaac, letter march 8, 1879)
Isaac took some care of his clothes and appearance, to help with his missionary labors.  “I had a little money left when I got to England but it took me some in fitting up so that I could go around respectable.  You cannot go hear as you can at home.  We have got to look like gentlemen whether we are or not or we cannot get in with the people to talk to them!”  (Wardle, Isaac, letter April 3, 1879)
 Isaac was assigned to the Liverpool Conference.  “Elder Isaac J. Wardle is appointed a Traveling Elder in the Liverpool Conference.”  (MS xli p 137)  “I have been appointed to the Liverpool Conference to travel under the direction of Elder D. Bunting. (Wardle, Isaac, letter March 8, 1879)  Before Isaac reported to his area of service, he attended a semi-annual meeting of the conference:

I was at the half year conference last Sunday with the Church authorities in England and we had a good time.  The spirit of God was with us.  Both speaker and hearer felt that God blessed his servants but I was at this time very weak to stand up to speak to the congregation; but god strengthened me for the task.  I assure you I feel my weakness to fulfill the position I now occupy.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter dated march 8, 1879)

Of this the Millenial Star reported Isaac’s remarks:

Isaac was a traveling Elder from Liverpool at a conference held in Miners Hall, Millgate, Wigan, on Sunday March 2, 1879.”  James L. Bunting was President of Liverpool Conference.  Elder Wardle spoke at this conference.  “Elder Wardle testified to the sameness of the spirit that was possessed by those who were true Saints here, with to that possessed by those that had gathered to Zion.  The same spirit would be felt in all the assemblies of the Saints, so long as they sought to do the will of God.  He encouraged the Saints to draw near unto God and He would overrule everything for their welfare.”  (MS lxi pp 133-34)

Isaac was a traveling elder out of Wigan, and also called as Branch President.  “At the meeting during the day it was motioned that I be president of the Wigan Branch and that I travel through all the branches from Wigan to Liverpool, a Distance of 70-80 miles and strengthen the Saints always in my power.”
Speaking of serving as branch president, Isaac talked of his own shortcomings.  “I took my position as president of the Wigan Branch yesterday.  I was well received by the Saints.  I assure you I thought that God had chosen the weakest of all man to lead the people.  I know that I have not had the experience as some have had; but God has called me to this position through His servants: and I trust in him alone to help me to do my duty as a man of God.   (Wardle, Isaac, letter March 8, 1879) 
Isaac took it upon himself to visit the old church members.  He compared this to home teaching back home:

I have taken it upon myself to go and see all the saint’s families as a teacher and see what I can do to strengthen them which they need very much.  I have visited all this week.  I found many old people that joined the Church 35 years ago.  I find a good deal of difference here in visiting to what I did at home visiting.  In some places the man is in the church and the woman out; sometimes woman in and the man out with children taking both sides of the question.  This position I now occupy is one that requires both wisdom and the spirit of God to do it fairly [well] and do my Duty.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter March 8, 1879)
I thought I would say to you that I visit among the saints and do all I can to counsel them.  They are all glad to see me but feel sorry that they are poor that they cannot feed me as they would like to do.  (Wardle, Isaac , letter Feb. 14 1869)

Isaac continued to serve in this area for some time.  He was there for the next semiannual conference:

A district meeting was held in Miner’s Hall, Wigan, Liverpool Conference on Sunday July 6, 1879.
“The first assemblage convened at 10:30 a.m.  Elders from Utah on the Stand—John Nicholson, from the Millennial Star Office; James L. Bunting, President of, and I. J. Wardle, Ralph Smith, W. H. Haugh and L. R. Martineau, Traveling Elders in Liverpool Conference.
Meeting was called to order by Elder Wardle, President of the Wigan District.  Singing.  Prayer by Elder R. Smith.  Singing.  Sacrament was administered by Elders Marsh and Glover.
President Bunting made some preliminary remarks, explanatory of the duties of the priesthood and Saints.  Brother Wardle reported the district as in a healthy, thriving condition, much energy, he said, being shown by the local priesthood and Saints in reference to the spreading of the work by preaching, distributing tracts and other means. (MS xli p 435)

Isaac had success in his mission.  He doesn’t always talk about his baptisms, but does talk about some in the Wigan area:

I have been so busy that it seems that I have not Left you but 8 or 9 days [ago.]  April 1 I baptized 7 more in to the Church.  I start in the morning to the town of Limm.  I have been there once before.  I expect to baptize 3 more there and then go to Liverpool; stay 3 days and then come back to Wigan my headquarters.  I hope to baptize 5 more on my way back so you see that the Lord is blessing my labors.  …I think that the Lord will happen up the way so that we shall have a good harvest of souls this summer.  We have got 13 (6 in my last letter, 7 this) already this spring in the Wigan District since I came.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter April 3, 1879)

Isaac was released from his duties as Branch President in August.  This may have been because of his health problems.  “I have been released from being president of the Wigan District on the count of my health and I preside over the Chester District” (Wardle, Isaac, Aug. 7, 1879)

Isaac’s health

Isaac took cold shortly after arriving in England.  He was affected by the weather in England.  In the spring he talks of a bad cold.  “My head hurts at present. … [I am] hoping these few lines will find you well as it leaves me at this time with the Exception of a very bad cold which I have had for 3 weeks.  But I hope as warm weather is coming I shall be better soon.”  (Wardle, Isaac letter March 8, 1879)
Isaac formed some very positive relationships, and was grateful for those who took care of him while he was on his mission.  This included care he received when he became ill:

I have been in the hands of very fine friends.  I make mention of Brother and Sister Marsh and Wiltsen at Wigan, John Tinsely and Glover Newtune and Sister Ruebotem at Holen and Brother and Sister Derbyshire at Digmore and many others as far as they can make me comfortable; for which I feel thankful to All mighty God that he has been so mindful of me as to raise up friends to minister to me in time of need and I hope and pray that God will bless them for everything that they have to comfort me in my affliction through which I have passed so far.  (Wardle, Isaac, Aug 7, 1879)  

Isaac began having some health issues, and the rainy weather in England did not help.  However he was able to report improved health in August.  “I am very glad to tell you that my health is much better than I have been for some time.”  (Wardle, Isaac Aug. 7, 1879)

The People Suffer Economically

While Isaac served his mission, the economic situation in England must have been terrible.  He saw this as God’s judgment upon the people:

Everything looks as though a blast has come over the country and the people do not know what is the matter.  Things is so bad that men with families of 5 to 6 in family make 2$ 50 cts for week.  This is all that they have to live on.  You know not what poverty is in the valley.  Bread is 4 ½ cents per pound; beef 17 cts; mutton 18 cts; potatoes $1 for25 lbs or bushel and other thing in proportion.  Men do not know what to do and where to go to better their condition. …They tell me that hundreds of people is almost starving to death and willing to work but can’t get any to do.  I have had young men say to me that if I would send them away they would work for 75 cts for day for 3 years and board themselves.  If this is not the beginning of God’s judgments I do not know where it will commence and I hope that I shall not see it.  My heart breaks to see the poor saints in poverty and no hope of being better.  When they asked me to eat with them I thought how thankful you and the brethren and sisters ought to be to our Heavenly Father for the blessing you enjoy at home.  You know not the poverty of the people and I hope and pray you never may see what I see.  Now behold my heart aches at the site.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter Feb. 13, 1879)

When I see my poor brethren have to go to go to work in the morning without the comfort of the mortal body.  [It] requires they work from 10 to 14 hours per day for 75 cts to $1 and think they are doing Well.  This would be if they had work all the time; but some gets from 2 to 3 [days] per week at the most and they think it will be worse than what it is. … It is not strange to see from 1 to 200 Men on the street corners standing waiting for something to turn up.  One man told me that he had traveled 5 week] to find work and had not.  I have been accosted on the street by women whom I thought was in good comfortable circumstances asking for something to keep them and their children from starving.  (Wardle, Isaac, letter March 8, 1879)

Business is getting worse every day.  It seems that people will almost starve to death this summer.  Thousands of men are out of work and do not know what to do to feed their families.  This week two men has hung themselves; one last week because their children was crying for bread and they had none to give them so they took this way to get out of trouble[.] (Wardle, Isaac, letter April 3, 1879)

Isaac in his letter talks of his privations, but also the tender care of some of the members:

I ham staying tonight with old brother and sister Rapley which takes water and she washes my feet for me and she gives me all the harbe beer drink to that I Want and they furnish me a bed to sleep in when I call to see them and give me the best they have to eat when I Call on them.  So you see that the Lord has given me a home in the land of strangers.  I have got some very kind friends in this district which do all they can for me but it is not like being at home. (Wardle, Isaac, letter April 3, 1879)

 The condition in England prompted Isaac to write, “I want you John to pay all our debts and then keep out of debt.  Do all you can for your mother and Sophia and the children. …Send me word how the sheep as doing this winter and how many lambs you have got and then I will write to you and tell you what to do about giving up sheep.”   (Wardle, Isaac, letter April 3, 1879)

Spiritual Blessings

Isaac received many spiritual blessings during his mission.  He knew that if he did his “duty” God would bless him:

We think that God will be with us in all that we do if we faithfully do our duty.  We think that God through his servants does manifest His power and that He will gather in the lost sheep of Israel if we faithfully do our duty but it [takes] the spirit of God and peace and perseverance to accomplish this. (Wardle, Isaac, letter March 8, 1879)

[I have] been much [more] of a spiritual minded man [than] before leaving home…  Do no fret about me as God is with me by His sprit and will take care of me and you also if you do what is right.  (Wardle, Isaac March 11, 1979)

The Journey Home

Isaac was released early form his mission on account of his health.  At the same time he sent a letter home saying he was improved, he sent this letter to the mission president, which was dated August 6. 1879:

Dear Brother,--According to promise, I write to you concerning the condition of my health.  It is about the same as when I last saw you.  Brother Bunting thinks it would be advisable for me to go home.  I feel myself that I am unable to cope with this climate another winter.  I should like very much if I were able to stay and fully accomplish the mission to which I have been called, but it seems my health will not admit of it. 
I thank you for the kind consideration you have shown in my behalf, and the valuable instructions you have given me.  I would like to go on the next ship, as I think it would be better for me to have a little time at home to recruit before winter sets in.  I hope I have been able to do some good in this land.  At least I have done no harm.
Your Brother in the Gospel,
Isaac J. Wardle”  (MS xli p 559)

He was released as a result. “Release on account of ill health Elder Isaac J. Wardle is released to return to Utah with the company that will leave Liverpool on September 6, 1879.  William Budge, President of the European Mission.” (MS xli p 555)
Returning home from his mission, Isaac was caught in a furor over Mormon immigration in general.  He, like most returning missionaries, accompanied a group of new immigrants.  In the 1870s, public opinion had been slowly forming against Mormon immigration, with the claims the Mormon Elders used unjust manipulations, and they attracted the worse of society:

Despite the general verbal opposition to the Mormon immigration, little concrete action was taken to stem it until the 1870s.  In 1876 the United States Supreme Court ruled that immigration policy was a matter strictly confined to the federal government.  In 1879 Secretary of State William Evarts became uneasy about Utah’s “accession from Europe…drawn mainly from the ignorant classes, who are easily influenced by the double appeal to their passions and their poverty.”  Evarts soon sent a formal not to several European governments requesting aid in stopping the Mormon stream at is sources, but he received little response in his move.  (Arrington and Bitton p 137)

    It would appear European governments had no interest in interfering with law-abiding citizens and their rights to immigrate.  That they may believe in polygamy had no sway in the argument.  (See ibid p 137-38)  However, that did not please all American politicians and newspaper men.  The New York times published this article when the group went through new York:

How They Regard Secrtary Evart’s Letter of Protest to European Powers.
Among the passengers of the Wyoming yesterday were 335 Mormon recruits, under the leadership of N.C. Flygare, and including 16 other elders, viz: Ralph Smith, Charles Monk, John Larsen, William McFadden, Isaac Wardle, R. Dansie, William England, Jonathan Midgley, Thomas Child, R. Nielson, John C. Scofield, J.F. Olsen, N.P. Nielson, James Hansen, G. Anderson, and William Goodman.  All names, except Scofield, are returning missionaries, having been in this country before.  They journeyed across comfortably as cabin passengers, their followers being relegated to steerage.  About half of the latter are Scandinavians, the rest being English and Welsh.  They are an unintelligent looking crowd, but are fairly clean as compared with other batches of their brethren who preceded them in Castle Garden.  They are nearly all in families, and the sexes are about equally divided.  There are about 50 children and 25 aged person who have relatives in Utah.  They left last evening for that Territory via the Pennsylvania Central Railroad.
The importance of the arrival consists mainly in the fact that this is the first batch that has come hither since Secretary Evarts sent out his famous letter of protest against Mormon Proselytism in Europe.  The Elders yesterday said that the Secretary’s letter had been widely published abroad, but had not met with a very favorable reception.  Wherever it had not been pitched into, it had been mercilessly ridiculed.  Many persons were of the opinion that is was a canard, not being able to believe that anything so absurd could be seriously father by the American government.  The Mormons were not disturbed by it in the least.  They considered that they had just as much right to preach their peculiar doctrines as any other religious body, and they looked upon the notion of prohibiting emigration, because there was the possibility of the emigrant violating the laws of another country, as too ridiculous for contemplation.  They claimed that polygamy is not taught as something to be enforced, but as permissible.  Abroad it is never practiced, and only in Utah here.  The ”revelation” about polygamy was given in 1843, and it was practiced in Utah from that time until 1862 before the United States Government made the slightest move to suppress it.  In the latter year Congress passed a law against it, but no attempt has ever been made to enforce that law.  The recent prosecutions, which resulted in the conviction of Reynolds, were instituted under an old Territorial act, and Reynolds could not have been convicted had it not been for the defection of members of his own family.  Out of 19 or 20 cases, his was the only one that it was found safe to proceed upon as a test one.
Such were the statements of the Mormon elders.  They professed to look upon the new movement against the latter-day Saints as a purely spasmodic outbreak, that will soon die out and end in nothing.  They announce that a further consignment of their brethren will reach her in October.  (The New York Times Published: September 17, 1879 Copyright The New York Times)

    Isaac must have gained satisfaction with his mission, even though due to health reasons he came home early.  “It must have been with great satisfaction that he was able to return to England in 1879 and serve a nine-month mission in his homeland.  (Wardle, Orrin)

No comments:

Post a Comment