Saturday, August 17, 2013

Letter to Isaac from Jesse Vincent, Missionary from South Jordan

This is a letter sent to Isaac by Brother Jesse Vincent, who was also serving a mission at the time Isaac was serving.  The land where the Jordan River Temple is located on what was his original homestead.




May 31 1879  Paintsville, Johnson Co. Kentucky America
I.J. Wardle
Thinking a few lines from one of your fellow laboring missionaries would not be A miss, I sit down to give you A short historey of my experience in traveling and preaching the gospel to this people here in Old Kentucky.  First I hope this fill find you enjoying good ealth and also enjoying your self in your new field of labour.  I am truly thankfull that I can tell you I ham well in boddy and feel as a general thing to enjoy the spirit of my mission.  I left my home as you know the first of Dec 1878 in company with Elders John B. Holt of Mill Creek and John A Groebeck and David G. Dunbar of Salt Lake City.  I and Elder Holt came through leaving the other two behind to visit their friends.  A bout Dec. 27th the two brethren came A long to see us here in Paintsville-stayed A few days and then whent further on.  After A bout 3 weeks they returned, the weather being very cold and severe at the tme freezing from 8 to 10 degrees below zerow.  Elder Groesbeck however began to think he could not stay, injoy the spirit of his mission or do any good.  Finely concluded he should go home which he did[.]  he left us on 24th Jany.  Then thare was three of us left.  We worked to gather and done the best we could.  We traveled and preached but soon found much prejudice and opposition working Against us where ever we whent.  but A mong these we found some honest h[e]arted people who was seeking after truth.  A way up in march we baptized 11 and organized a Branch after while we baptized 6 more April 12nd.  David G. Dunbar was released from here to take A mission to England which he as done[.]  left here May 5th to join those that was called at the Ap Conference to go to England on missions [page 2]  Since that Elder Hold as been release to go home[.]  he is not gone yet but expects to leve in A day or so which leves poor I A lone, but I expect to have A Comanion next week may 24th[.]  I baptized 8 moore making our little Branch to under 25 total.  In coming here we had many dificuteys to contend with, for instan thare was no Saints with 3 or 400 hundred miles.  We was strangers in A strange land; knew no one.  And in the winter season of the year we had to put up at an hotel paying for board for several weeks $4.00.  This we had to do till we could make some friends.  It has been A rather hard mission and A expensif one thus far; but it will be easerer for them that comes now.  Brother Holt says he would of sooner go to England for 18 months than be here 6 months.  Now for the county and people the country his mountainous but thay are not moore than from 2 two 300 feet high, no valleys at all.  You can travel for miles and not see 10 acres of level lant.  The hill are covered with timber of all kinds, large and small and are as steep as the ruff [roof] os A house.  But the people cleare off the timber and farm it.  Thay chant grow any thing scarcely but corn and bitter wheat and potatoes on the best of the land.  Hence the people are very poor.  Yes the poorest of the poor.  The way we have had to live as vone very hard with us at times.  We have not tasted A bit of Beef or mutton since we come here, nor no good potatoes.  Our living his as a general thing corn Bread and Bacon butter and sorgham.  And the way thay make thare Bread when Baked looks just like saw dust mix up and baked for bread.  We can not Eat it.  I have gone for days and weeks and have not had A good meal.  Bro. Wardale it is A hard pill but I am glad.  I came here.  it is the best school I was ever in.  it is an experance that chant be bought for money.  I rote to Bishop Bills and told him I Stronley recommended it to all good and faithful Elders and invited them to go on missions.  If I did not know that this was the true gospel I could not of sacrifice what I have since I have been here.  But I know that the gospel must be preached to all the world before the End can come, tharefor I have willing to do my part.  I know our pay is sure when we have finished our worck on Earth which we have to do. [page 3] I get letters all the time form home.  Everything his going on all right.  Brig his married married to Susan Blake on May 8th so he is all right.  He as got his want supplied.  I received A letter the other from A. Amundsen.  He says every thing his very dule [doll] that is busness.  And produce cheep also wool.  But he thought it was on the raise.  I don’t know as I have much moore to say at present.  I hope you will answer this at you early conevents [convenience] and tell me all the news you can; how the worck his progressing in England and how the times are and the prizs [prices] and grocereys meet and produce in general and all.  The wather here his very hot and dry.  We have had no rain to do any good for it about 7 weeks.  Most every thing his burning up for want of rain.  Now I will tell you how many miles I have walked since I came here.  I have walked 636 miles[.]  how is that for (I)
If you should see any one that I am aquainted with remember me kindly to them.  I wish you much success in you labours.  Hope you may do A good worck and when done return home in safety to family and friends.
I remain you fellow labour in the gospel of Christ,  Jesse Vincent  Paintsville Johnson Co. Kentucky America Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment