Saturday, October 6, 2012

Isaac Wardle: Mission, Millennial Star

I received an email from Iva Beckstead which follows Isaac's mission in the Millennial Star, 1879.

Hi Billy,

I don't know if you have the following regarding Isaac John Wardle's mission, but I will include it in this email.

In the book Latter-Day Saints Millennial Star, Volume 41, 1879, M-205.5, page 106 in the Salt Lake City, Utah genealogy library it states “Arrivals – on Saturday, February 6, 1879, Elders John South and Isaac J. Wardle arrived at this port per S. S. Montana.  They have been called on missions to this country and are now visiting their friends prior to being assigned to their fields of labor.” – European Mission – Great Britain.

Page 137 states “Elder Isaac J. Wardle is appointed a Traveling Elder in the Liverpool Conference.”

Page 173-74 states “Isaac was a traveling Elder from Liverpool at a conference held in Miners Hall, Millgate, Wigan, on Sunday March 2, 1879.”  James L. Bunting was President of Liverpool Conference.  Elder Wardle spoke at this conference .  “Elder Wardle testified to the sameness of the spirit that was possessed by those who were true Saints here, with to that possessed by those that had gathered to Zion.  The same spirit would be felt in all the assemblies of the Saints, so long as they sought to do the will of God.  He encouraged the Saints to draw near unto God and He would overrule everything for their welfare.”

On page 435 it states, “A district meeting was held in Miner’s Hall, Wigan, Liverpool Conference on Sunday July 6, 1879.

“The first assemblage convened at 10:30 a.m.  Elders from Utah on the Stand—John Nicholson, from the Millennial Star Office; James L. Bunting, President of, and I. J. Wardle, Ralph Smith, W. H. Haugh and L. R. Martineau, Traveling Elders in Liverpool Conference.

Meeting was called to order by Elder Wardle, President of the Wigan District.  Singing.  Prayer by Elder R. Smith.  Singing.  Sacrament was administered by Elders Marsh and Glover.

President Bunting made some preliminary remarks, explanatory of the duties of the priesthood and Saints.  Brother Wardle reported the district as in a healthy, thriving condition, much energy, he said, being shown by the local priesthood and Saints in reference to the spreading of the work by preaching, distributing tracts and other means.”

On Page 549 in the Minutes of the Liverpool Conference held in the lower concert hall, Lord Nelson Street, on Sunday Aug. 17, 1879, Isaac John Wardle was there in attendance as a traveling Elder in which he gave the closing prayer.

Page 559 – Elder Isaac Wardle writes a letter to President William Budge from Runcorn on August 6, 1879.

“Dear Brother,--According to promise, I write to you concerning the condition of my health.  It is about the same as when I last saw you.  Brother Bunting thinks it would be advisable for me to go home.  I feel myself that I am unable to cope with this climate another winter.  I should like very much if I were able to stay and fully accomplish the mission to which I have been called, but it seems my health will not admit of it. 

I thank you for the kind consideration you have shown in my behalf, and the valuable instructions you have given me.  I would like to go on the next ship, as I think it would be better for me to have a little time at home to recruit before winter sets in.  I hope I have been able to do some good in this land.  At least I have done no harm.

Your Brother in the Gospel,
Isaac J. Wardle”

In the same book, page 555 it says “Release on account of ill health Elder Isaac J. Wardle is released to return to Utah with the company that will leave Liverpool on September 6, 1879.  William Budge, President of the European Mission.”

No comments:

Post a Comment